Trying to change a bully single handedly might be a hard task to uptake, but with some help the bully might lower his shield and be more understanding towards someone (National Youth). By taking some of these tips, according to National Youth Violence Prevention Resource Center, helping someone with overcoming the bully in their life might prove more successful.
- If you can, ignore the bully. “Bullies look for a reaction from you and often lose interest if they aren’t given the satisfaction of making you upset” (2013).
- Staying positive and being confident are also good examples often taken as an understatement. This gives the bully a sense of failure and a need to move on because they feed off of fear from their victims (2013).
- Staying in a group is a great tool to evade the bully with. It is not often that a bully will confront someone when that person has a backup (2013).
- “Telling him or her to leave you alone may get a bully off your back” (2013).
- “Look at the kid bullying you and tell him or her to stop in a calm, clear voice. You can also try to laugh it off. This works best if joking is easy for you. It could catch the kid bullying you off guard.”;(U.S. Department).
Some more tips according to the U. S…give examples on how to prevent from being bullied:
- Stay away from places where bullying happens.:(U.S. Department)
- Talk to an adult or someone you trust. Don’t keep your feelings inside. By telling someone the feeling of being alone will be uplifted. They can also help you make a plan to stop the bullying.:(U.S. Department)
- Stay near other people. Most bullying happens when nobody is around to verify.:(U.S. Department)