Students pursuing the Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) will select an emphasis (a concentration within a specific medium or mediums) in an area of either Studio Art or Visual Communication. The emphasis is a selection of advanced courses designed to refine and specialize a student’s conceptual and practical skills. Before taking these courses, however, all students are required to complete a prescribed sequence of introductory courses known collectively as “foundations.” Foundations courses include drawing, two and three-dimensional design, art history, and other preparatory classes. After the completion of the foundations’ courses, usually around the end of the sophomore year, the student will undergo a portfolio review to assess his or her preparedness for the chosen area of emphasis.
Foundations courses are generally uniform from one area of emphasis to another in that they are designed to build a broad skill set. Thus a student choosing an emphasis in photography or ceramics will receive the same foundational education as one deciding upon Teacher Certification, art direction, or new media. The uniformity of foundations courses is based on the premise that students should be taught to think and practice as artists before they become specialists in one medium or another.
Required Foundations Courses in Art (37 semester hours)
- ART 1316 – Drawing I Hours: 3
- ART 1311 – Two-Dimensional Design and Color Theory Hours: 3
- ART 1317 – Drawing II Hours: 3
- ART 1312 – Three-Dimensional Design and Color Theory Hours: 3
- ART 141 – Intro to Shop Safety Hours: 1
- ART 1303 – History of Art I Hours: 3 *
*Also counts as University Studies—Visual and Performing Arts requirement.
- ART 1304 – History of Art II Hours: 3
- ART 2323 – Figure Drawing Hours: 3
- PHO 2356 – Introduction to Digital Media Hours: 3
And 12 hours from the following:
- ART 227 – Sophomore Studio: Introduction to Painting Hours: 3
- ART 240 – Sophomore Studio: Introduction to Sculpture Hours: 3
- ART 250 – Sophomore Studio: Introduction to Ceramics Hours: 3
- PHO 209 – Basic Photography II Hours: 3
ART 211 – Introduction to Visual Communication Hours: 3